The Odell House, commissioned in 1898 by George and Ada Odell, of architect Loren Rand (Lewis and Clark High school, The First Presbyterian Church, among others) and completed in 1899, making it just over a century old when it opened for use by out of town visitors.

The Odell House is known as a fine example of the "Queen Anne architectural style, executed in the Free Classic Tradition." (For those interested, the "Free Classic tradition refers to the use of Tuscan columns on the porch instead of the more gingerbread style of turned columns sometimes seen on smaller Victorian houses of this era"). 

The Odell family was well known in Spokane for their philanthropic activities, founding one of the first shelters for the homeless, refurnishing one of the children's homes in the Hutton settlement--a facility for troubled youth still operating in Spokane just west of the Arbour Crest Vineyard. Ada Odell was referred to in a 1936 newspaper article as one of the 'Mothers of Spokane', and it is not terribly surprising that her genteel touches are still a mainstay of the Odell House as it stands today. Besides fine taste in chandeliers, stained glass and woodwork, the Illinois couple were forward thinking in the development of modern conveniences: Mr. Odell started the first telephone system (with 36 subscribers).

The Odell House remained single family for only about twenty-five years, when after the Second World War the pressure for housing caused many of the larger homes to be converted to multiple family residences. This was an idea that gained popularity with the well to do working classes who enjoyed living the "Mansion Life" with its tree-lined streets and quiet neighborhoods close to downtown. As was true of the Odell House, many of the mansions still retained their owners as full time residents in a portion of the house, which made for a standard of upkeep and decoration uncommon in more traditional apartment buildings.

The Odell House is listed on both the National and Local Historic registries, and we have places a copy of the complete history and architectural review in each unit so visitors may read about the house located on "one of Spokane's most celebrated intersections, dominating the southeast corner of West First Avenue and Poplar Street."